THANKYOU HILLSONG!

Profound gratitude to Hillsong, Brian Houston, and all the leadership at Hillsong. You listened to the victims of Mark Driscoll's abuse and chose not to give him a voice and a stage and a platform. We spoke, you listened. Thank you thank you thank you.

Sunday 24 May 2015

On the importance of and rationale for civility

So my recent experience has been that there are rather a number of people in Australia who have had quite painful experiences with Hillsong, and that some of them are excited and energised to join our protest, but they are keen to protest Hillsong more generally, rather than specifically about Mark Driscoll.

I'm totally okay with and even delighted by this. And I have the sense that some of these people may be somewhat more angry and/or confrontational that I myself want to be.

Not that I'd ever judge you, you lovely people. I myself have been very angry in the past, much more angry than I am now. And a lot more confrontational too.

However, just to be perfectly clear, it's very much my intention and hope that we shall protest in a peaceful way--in a way that encourages dialogue and genuine conversations. I want Hillsong to change, NOT to unexist, and I think change happens most quickly and easily when everyone is able to feel listened to and respected.

That's my two cents.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment